Growing up my daddy always made these for our family. I love them to this day and always think of dad when slicing up the cucumbers! My boys are quite partial to them as well. I try to keep a bowl going in the refrigerator most of the time. They go great on salads or as a healthy condiment to just about anything.
I don’t remember dad using dill in his recipe but on occasion I throw a little fresh or dried in to the mix for a flavor change.
I like them extra “vinegary” too. If you don’t, just replace some of the vinegar with water. As for me? I like the pucker factor. 🙂
Please make sure and use enough SALT, otherwise they are no bueno! I prefer to slice them thick and remove a portion of the peel and leave strips. You can use an English cucumber if you want and leave on the peel. Either way, they’re yummy!
Here’s a recipe they sit pretty beside. Red Beans and Rice with Beer. One of my absolute new favorite dishes.
Happy 4th to everyone and may God bless America! 💥🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
- 2 cucumbers, peeled (or not) and sliced
- 1 medium yellow, white or red onion, sliced or chunked
- white vinegar (enough to cover)
- water (to dilute the vinegar if you don’t like the bite)
- kosher salt, to taste (don’t be stingy!)
- black pepper, to taste
- dash of white sugar (use more for a bread and butter flavor)
- dried or fresh dill, optional
This is a no brainer. Wash, peel (or not) and slice cucumbers. Peel and slice (or chunk) onions. Place everything in a container and cover with vinegar and water (whatever proportions you like.) Add salt, pepper, sugar and optional dill. Stir well and refrigerate.